Thursday, April 8, 2010

Onwards, Upwards, and Endlessly Inwards

Hello, hello,

So I have chosen today's blog to be about Archetypes and the value of gravitating towards certain ones at certain times ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype for a description of an Archetype).

As of late, I have resumed my practice of karate (so awesome!) and am well-into my study of chemistry as part of the prep science courses I'm taking for naturopathic medicine. As such, and as with any other stage in life, I am now finding myself attracted to certain personalities, namely Bruce Lee. Why?

To answer this question is simple, and all it takes is looking at the facts of who and what we are. For all things, movements, and undertakings, there exists an archetype, a person who embodies that goal or movement so wholly that they become the goal or movement. Bruce Lee as fitness fanatic, martial artist, teacher, movie star, and trail-blazer is a perfect example of this, as are Gandhi, Socrates, and Mother Teresa. To me, what an archetype represents is a person who has risen to the highest level of development in their given path(s) or goal(s), to the point where what they stand for and what their life is about is far greater and bigger than they as individuals ever could be. These are extraordinary people forged in the fires of commitment, self-determination, and passion who sacrificed greatly in order to achieve what they sought out to. We all have the capacity to do this, to reach levels of greatness we never thought possible, and that relates to one of the best things Archetypes are great for: inspiration.

When you are up to big things, try surrounding yourself with Archetypes that relate to your goal(s). This way, you will be able to reach new levels of energy and inspiration while you move towards what you want, and you will be amazed at how effective this can be. Really focus your energy and attention on your chosen archetype(s) and you will see what I mean. It's as if you're absorbing their energy and using it as your own. It's amazing!

This is something that may happen naturally, as it always has with me and many others, and so it may not require any conscious effort at all. However, just in case it does, get choosing and surround yourself with those who embody what you're after! They will help you soar higher, become strong when you feel weak, and achieve what you've always wanted to. Good luck and get to it!! :)

3 comments:

  1. What Archetype do you think I relate to at this point in my journey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post brother, I needed a dose of inspiration today. I think that we could have a beer or two over archetypes vs unconscious projections - you distinguish the fact that we too possess those archetypal qualities and I feel that the danger is that so many just project those qualities onto others, who end up suffering greatly under their weight. RObert Bly writes about all of the projections on Marilyn Monroe being responsible for killing her, and I wonder to what extent, at the risk of sounding like Tiger isn't responsible for his behaviour, which he most certainly IS, that our projections of greatness on Tiger caused him to crack.
    just a few things running through my head.
    p.s. Want to see king sunny ade and his african beats tuesday night at the phoenix? 8pm?
    love love
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane: You tell me :)

    M-train: There is a fine line between healthy archetypal identification, which I think is a good thing, and unconscious projection. Projection by it's very nature is largely an unconscious process, and it certainly can leave people in ruins because it separates them from the masses, like in the case of Marylin, and forms, in some cases, a complete disconnect with reality. What we must remember regarding archetypal identification is that these people are just that: people. They are flesh, blood, and bone just like you and I, only they accomplished extraordinary things with the gifts they were given. The point is to tap into their energy, their drive, their sacrifice, in order to achieve our own goals, all the while remembering that they could have been just as vulnerable, sensitive, and fragile as us. That is the trick :)

    As for the Tuesday night fiesta, I have an mma class followed by a karate class, and will be finished by 10 p.m. However, I would L-O-V-E to get together and hang that week! I will be done my chemistry course by then and will be looking to jam out, mon! Know of any other fun activities we could get up to? I am totally out of touch in that department as of late.

    Thank you BOTH for writing :)

    Andrew*

    ReplyDelete