Friday, February 26, 2010

Ain't No Sunshine...

Well, I think I can safely say that I know now why people sing the Blues.

I currently find myself suffering a whole lot of heartache over a loss, yup, a girl, and the other day while in the shower I simply started crooning. Yes, crooning, starting with bits from "Papa was a Rolling Stone" by The Temptations, and finishing with pieces of "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" by Bill Withers, the latter more accurately embodying my current feelings. And that's when it hit me.

Here I am, more or less completely unable to change my current circumstances and feelings, and I suddenly realized that one of the ways to address such matters is through song. Why? Simply because it feels better to sing, and sing in a certain way, like those who sang the Blues. They weren't singing because they were happy, they were singing because they were sad and hurt and felt forgotten, which are the emotional states which often come up when you tune in to this sort of music.

So next time you're feeling down, hurt, or BLUE, and your aren't sure what else to do, try singing. It may pick your spirits up, or simply act as a channel for your pain which could move or inspire others :)


La, La, La,

Andrew*

No comments:

Post a Comment